Friday, April 26, 2013

Port Arthur

One last informative post, then just some funny picture out takes and I'll be all wrapped up with my Australia trip!  It didn't take too long right? 

Port Arthur.  The Tasmanian equivalent to Alcatraz.  Well, at least that's what I pictured as we were getting the tour.  I'm not sure about you, but if I were going to be in prison, I don't think this would have been a bad one.  Other than all the stories they told us of course!:)  The view is incredible. The grounds are stunning ( I'm sure they weren't back then though).

They have made a day trip out of visiting this old prison.  you can go, eat lunch, and even come back another day.  There is lots to see, lots to read, and just a gorgeous place like I said.  It was expansive, so there was lots of walking.  They had lots of trees, gardens, and history. 

In 1996 there was a mass shooting on the grounds, in one of the restaurants leaving 35 dead.  There was a beautiful memorial for that, which I guess I didn't get any pictures of because I can't find them. 

There are rumored to be ghosts.  They offered ghost tours after dark.  We were not staying that long, but I guarantee you, if my mom had known about this trip, she would have forced me to do one.  She was really into that stuff.  I'm sure it would have just scared me. 

So there you have it.  The last of our adventures in Aussie.  There will be a picture post to share some of my favorites that don't have a story to go along with them coming soon!  Thanks for sticking with me while it took me almost 2 months to get them all posted!:)


No comments: