Thursday, May 17, 2012

Potty time

Remember this post?  When I said we were no where near potty training?  Well Dylan proved me wrong.  I guess just like walking, and crawling and every other giant milestone in this child's life, he didn't want to do it until he could do it perfectly.  I have no idea where he gets this perfectionist attitude from.  It is not me.  I don't strive to be perfect.  I am of course not saying he is 100% trained.  Though I honestly don't think it will be long. 

One evening a few weeks ago, before his bath, I asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty.  His response for the first time was " YEAH"  I had asked him several times in the past, but I didn't want to push him and so if he said no, well it was a no.  This particular " yeah" was very enthusiastic, he sat down and immediately peed. I was amazed.  The next day, I sucked it up and tried the " no diaper" route.  To my amazement, he loved it.  I was in feeding Graham, he comes running in saying " I did it, I doodoo. " With his hands in the air and clapping for himself.  It was adorable. 

We proceed to dump said " doodoo" in the toilet and flush it.  ( That is actually the only reason I think he likes his potty, he gets to carry it to the big toilet and flush.  He is so big) Then I tell him he did a great job, and go back to feeding Graham. He comes running back in, " I did it, I doodoo"  Sure enough, there was another poo in the potty.  A tiny one, and I mean tiny.  But hey, he did it.  Then we wash and clean out his potty and I go back to feeding Graham.  What do you think happened next?  Yup, another poo.  It was like a game to him.  It is something we are still working on. It's hard when you have a kid who "doodoo's" like 4 times a day.  It would be much easier if he would only go once.

 I bought him some Mickey underwear. Because well he has running around with no diaper on down pat. I like to say he is 100% potty trained, if he could go out in public without pants on!:) To say he is obsessed with his undies is an understatement.  He literally throws tantrums sometimes when I put a diaper on him.  But I am no where ready to send him out into the world without a diaper on.  Needless to say, he is doing a great job and seems to be enjoying the process.  I am hoping by the start of Fall he will be 100% trained.  I'm going to get  his summer school teachers in on the process as well. So fingers crossed. 
 

So there you have it, you are now up to date on my son's potty habits.:)

No comments: