Thursday, August 5, 2010

Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate

My family knows, I'm a chocoholic. I will VERY, VERY rarely order a dessert if the word chocolate is not in the title. I have no idea why, I just can't. I guess it's same reason I can't just order pasta for dinner, MUST have a meat!

So a funny story to share with you all. While Adam and I were living in Philly, his parents came to visit so we went to a really fancy restaurant. Like really fancy. 7 courses, $150 + a person. Le Bec Fin. ( they have wised up and lowered their prices since then too!) They were known for their dessert CART. no not tray, CART. three levels. Since it was a fixed price menu you could get as many as you wanted. After eating 6 courses, here comes the cart. The lady says " What can I get you?" My response? " Everything CHOCOLATE" I was handed back a plate fulled with chocolate, i would say probably like 10 different things. I ate it. BIG MISTAKE. OH MY, to this day, Adam and I still regret our decision to eat all that food! But it was sooo worth it.

So I had two new dessert recipes that I wanted to try for thanksgiving in July. I took a vote, and double chocolate cheesecake won. I got this recipe from one of the recipe blogs I read. It was RICH. I can usually eat anything, but this was RICH. Just a warning.

Once again I will add the things I did differently in red.

Double Chocolate Cheesecake.
adapted from Joelen
Crust:
1 Pack of chocolate graham crackers, processed into crumbs(We couldn't find chocolate graham's ANYWHERE, so we used chocolate teddy grahams, a whole box.)
3 tablespoons of sugar
1/3 of a cup of butter, melted
Cheesecake:
4 packages (8 oz each) of cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
4 eggs 3 (1oz) squares semisweet bakers chocolate (melted and cooled)
3 (1oz) squares unsweetened bakers chocolate (melted and cooled)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

For the crust: Mix the crust ingredients together and press into bottom of spring form pan; set aside.

For the cheesecake: Mix cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs and continue mixing. Add melted chocolate until fully incorporated. Pour mixture over the prepared crust and smooth out top with a spatula.

I cooked mine in a water bath. Because I always do. Wrap the bottom of your spring form with foil, kinda like a diaper to prevent any water from seeping into the crush. Place in a roasting pan, and fill with water. until the water is halfway up the pan.

Place in the preheated oven and bake for 55 minutes or until center of cake is almost set. Loosen the cake from rim of spring form pan - Do not remove rim of pan until cool. Refrigerate the cheesecake for one day or overnight before serving. Top with whip cream if desired(We used Cool Whip to lighten the calories!;).

No comments: