Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fenner Family Tradition

Every year since I've been with Adam, his grandma Lou always gave canned turkey as a Christmas gift. At first, yes, it was a little strange. It looked like jellied turkey in a mason jar. Looked nothing like anything I would eat. But then I figured out why she did it. So that we could have creamed turkey and eggs, whenever we wanted it.

Adam's mom made up this recipe as a vessel of using up leftover turkey from all the Turkey dinners, Thanksgiving, Christmas and sometimes Easter. In all the years that I've been raving about this recipe to people, only ONE person said it sounded good. Erin, she would say that;) ( I think a lot of times she just doesn't want to hurt my feelings) Y'all I totally agree. The first time I had it, I was VERY concerned. It doesn't look very appetizing, but try me... It is! So here is the recipe out of a cookbook that Suzan submitted. We do it a little differently, with not as much butter. And we just make enough for us. But once you get the technique, it's easy. Basic white cream sauce, chopped turkey, and hard boiled eggs combined. Easy peezy.
Creamed Turkey and Eggs:
6 Hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped coarsely
About 2 cups left over turkey, chopped
1 stick of butter
3/4 to 1 cup of flour ( should still bubble but be thick)
3-4 cups of milk
2 Tablespoons corn starch dissolved in 1/2 cup water ( If needed for thickening) We never use this
salt and pepper

Peel and Chop eggs and turkey and set aside. Melt Butter in a sauce pan and add flour. Stirring often, add milk. Stir to eliminate lumps using a wire whisk if needed. Heat over medium heat until it thicken into a sauce. If it doesn't, then mix together corn starch and water and add i to the mixture and stir. you will need to stir this mixture pretty frequently to keep it smooth.


Add the egg and turkey and stir until heated. Add salt and pepper to taste.



Serve over toast.

This will probably sure about 6 people. The proportions are very flexible. The idea is to make a cream sauce, Add egg and turkey. You decide how much of each is right for you:)
( Sorry my food photography leaves a little to be desired. I don't care enough to make it look fancy just yet!:))

No comments: