Thursday, August 23, 2012

Leaving

Our trek back home was a little more adventurous than we had hoped.  Though still not near as bad as it could have been, but not as great as getting there.  We wanted to leave a little earlier in the evening than 11pm, for obvious reasons.  So we aimed to be on the road by eight.  Graham was being a pill because he was tired, and Dylan was being a pill, because well, he is two and a half.  Much to my surprise, we were on the road at 7:30.  The boys watched a few mickey mouse shows before Graham fell asleep around ten.
 All was well until he woke up at about 12:30 very unhappy.  Adam hopped in the back and fed him a bottle, he chugged it.  Surly that's why he wasn't happy.  He was now wide awake. There was crying, so of course Dylan is now awake as well.  After a pit stop. and a few more mickey's both were back to sleep.  It felt like an eternity, but I'm pretty sure we only had an unhappy Graham for like half an hour.  They both went back to sleep until about seven.  We wanted to stop somewhere for them to play a little since they had been in the car for about twelve hours by this point!  luckily we were in Texas, but about an hour outside of Wichita Falls.  So over three hours until we were home.  So we Google mapped a Mickey D's and decided we would have that.  We get to this place and it doesn't have a play place.  FAIL.  Oh well, it's over thirty miles to the next "town" so we just suck it up.  We order, eat, then realize that Dylan has wet his clothes.  Adam goes out to the car to change him.  When he comes back this is what I hear.

" Honey, I messed up."
" What?"
" I locked the keys in the car."
We saw a bear on the last day!
Do you know how ticked I was? Luckily for him the town we were in had a wrecker that opened car doors.  Luckily for him, we didn't have to wait but ten minuets for him to get there.  I would have hurt him if we had to sit in that McDonalds for hours, with Graham having a dirty diaper. ( we just took Dylan's off and put it on Graham, Dylan went without!;))

$50 later, we were on our merry way.  Three hours to go.  I had pretty much driven the whole way except for about three and a half hours,  but I felt I could push on as long as Adam talked to me.  So that's what we did.  We made it home about 11, where we played a bit then put everyone down for a nap.  Including Mommy and Daddy.  We woke up for a lovely storm here in Texas so that was nice.  We brought some of the cooler weather with us.  You are welcome.

I am still trying to get caught up on laundry and putting things away, with the boys demanding my attention it's hard to not just make the house more of a mess!  But we had a great trip, and we are looking forward to the next vacation at the end of September.  This one could be more exciting.  It's a plane ride.:/

2 comments:

Cathy Kennedy said...

Here's a trick DH learned years ago to keep from ever locking himself out of the car again. He keeps two sets of car keys on him. One set in each pocket. I even carry two sets in my purse, so hopefully if I do the same thing in locking the car door while the keys are still in the ignition then I have my spare set safely in my purse. Of course this only works well for me, if I have my purse with me. =D Glad y'all made it home in one piece after a loooong time with small children.

PS: May I suggest you remove the word verification? This is so difficult to do for many of us and it gets tiring when you visit a lot of blogs.

Casey said...

I love the picture of Graham with the mountains and trees in the background - great baby book pic! Glad you survived and had a safe, enjoyable trip. Touche!