Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Be Jealous.. or not!

Saturday night, Adam and I had a meal to me jealous of. Cheeseburgers and Onion rings. Alright, maybe only a child would be jealous but let me tell you. These were amazing. Maybe it's that I hadn't had a beef burger in a while ( I've been trying to eat turkey burgers, but this was just delicious. Adam made a chipolte ketchup. While he was grilling the burgers, I was in charge of onion rings.

After a year under the counter, we FINALLY broke out our deep fryer. Out of sight out of mind. If it's out we MUST fry everything. But for onion rings we broke it out. I used Bobby Flay's recipe ( kinda) for these rings. I say kinda because I just kinda eye balled everything, didn't really measure out the ingredients to batter them with. Who actually measures them? They turned out great though. I recommend everything give them a try!
I actually did the shake and bake method, but I'm writing it from the cookbook so. But I put the flour for the last dredge into a brown bag and shook it. Worked well.



Buttermilk Onion Rings
(Adapted from our signed Bobby Flays Burgers, Fries and Shakes)
2 Large Vidalia or other sweet onions ( We used one white onion)
1 Quart Peanut oil ( We used the ol' Cool Daddy Fryer.)
2 Cups buttermilk ( Used what was left in the container we had)
Salt
4 Cups of all- purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper


1 Peel the onions and slice them crosswise into 1 inch thick slices, separate each slice

2. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.

3. While oil is heating, but the buttermilk in a large baking dish and season liberally with salt and pepper. Divided the flour between 2 large baking dishes and season each dish liberally with salt and pepper and the cayenne.

4. Working in batches, dredge some of the onion rings in one dish of the flour. Tap of excess.Dip rings into the buttermilk, allow the excess to drain off, then dredge in the last flour dish. Then fry the rings, flipping ones. Remove when slightly brown, and sprinkle with salt. Serve hot.

No comments: