Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Appreciation

I am a lucky one.

Many think being a "Stay at home Mom" is play dates, shopping, lunches, and naps. Though I do do those things occasionally, it's not a regular thing. Lucky for me, my husband knows better. Having Adam be unemployed for the first 7 months of Dylan's life was a blessing actually. He got to see how hard it was. He never once said that I don't do anything during the day, because he was there to see that wasn't the case.

The day of a stay at home mom is just as tough as a day at the office. Granted, it's a different kind of tough as Adam and I say. His work is mentally draining, and mine is often physically draining.


Taking care of an almost toddler is hard. It only gets harder the older he gets. He wants to move, he wants to play, he doesn't want to take naps, he needs to eat, he needs to be changed. He is a demanding little man. But not only do I have him to worry about but I have to keep up the house. This includes but is not limited to; doing the dishes, laundry, washing the THREE dogs, cooking, and cleaning.


What sparked this post was this weekend. Usually Adam and I switch off weekend days. Like I'll take care of Dylan on one day, and he gets the other. So that way we each get a day where we don't have to worry about him and can get things done. This weekend Adam sort of got stuck with both days, oops. Sunday after he put Dylan down, he came into the kitchen, hugged me and said " Honey, I appreciate you, that kid is exhausting."

You have no idea how great it was to hear that. Not that he ever accused me of sitting on my bum and doing nothing all day. But he got first hand experience that taking care of Dylan is tough!! But you know what? As cliche as it is, I wouldn't change anything. I am sooo very fortunate that I am even able to stay home with him, and I don't ever take that for granted. I love seeing every new little thing he does. Every day is a new adventure.

2 comments:

Kacie.Whigham said...

What a nice thing to hear from the hubs! I am sure that I'll understand what you're going through very, very soon! (and at that point will be asking you a million questions about how to stay alive)

Brenda said...

Lindsey, I absolutely love these pictures of YOU and Dylan. They are great. He is growing so fast.